Climate change services are provided by organisations whose focus is on:
- Assisting the community to thrive and prosper in response to changes in the climate (adaptation)
- Activities that reduce greenhouse gas emissions, in line with the world’s efforts to halt global warming due to human activity (greenhouse gas mitigation)
Australian services and approaches are highly applicable worldwide
- The approaches are flexible and adaptive, providing decision-making tools to people whose livelihoods depend on climate and weather patterns.
- There is a focus on moving from planning and awareness raising to implementation and action on ground.
- Planning and action arise from collaborations of diverse groups.
- Decision-making is informed by accurate data and forecasts from research.
- The decisions around climate resilience become ‘owned’ by the community.